Thursday, November 27, 2008

MONKEY MAGIC

KRABBI - where the locals walk sideways

Boarding the ferry, a guard asked “Krabbi?”
I told him that I was in quite a good mood.
Quick as a flash he retorted “Phuket”

Although it felt liberating to be off the islands and back on the terra firma of the mainland, there was not that much to do in Krabbi. A few shops to look in and a few nice restaurants but we had arrived at the point where we eat in Thai places for eighty pence each months ago… Though I did have a burger in one place, sometimes, once every few weeks you just crave something western, usually bread-based as there is only so much rice you can eat.

The next morning as a treat (more an apology) we went kayaking with monkeys. Sandy, Pigsy and Tripitaka were busy so decided to stay at home.















We paddled badly at first, working against each other and both steering, cancelling the work of the other but we got the hang of it in the end, even if we did keep veering violently to the left whenever someone took their eye off the ball to take photos of themselves in their favourite top and sunglasses.

Stunning views of oceanic canyons and gorges gave way to mangrove swamps.



Once inside out came the monkeys to get their daily quota of bananas. Most of the monkeys were called John, but one was called Beckham and he jumped onto my shoulder. A mother and baby, clinging on to her underside used one of our kayaks as a taxi just to get further through the swamp. Cheeky monkey!

Not much else to report, I had to buy an iphone charger as I left mine on Lanta The replacement didn’t work and once again I had to sweet talk a lady into giving me another, deftly taping up the original’s box as good as new. We walked to a small island when the tide was out and visited the tsunami memorial while trying to find a non-existent Muai Thai stadium but it began to rain and we were missing home.

No comments: