Sunday, January 18, 2009

TONIGHT WE'RE GONNA PARTY LIKE...

Where did that decade go?

Ah yes, I remember…

In the following days I met up with Rob, who is off to Melbourne soon and Clair. We went out and were ignored by Rob as his real friends were there, you know the guys he’s met in Sydney. Andy came round the night before NYE and we got drunk, mainly by drinking beers and Bombay Sapphire that Clair had brought round to my house. Thanks hun!

New Years Eve, Andy and I ventured out to see the famous Sydney fireworks - the biggest party in the world Both with raging hangovers I managed to get him out of the house at dusk and we made our way amongst the throng of one and a half million revellers to a suitable vantage point. For scale, that’s fifteen Glastonbury’s. We had gone further in but aborted that mission as we ground to a halt.

As another year drew to a close news helicopters lit up the crowds with follow spots as Andy and I made up names for groups of people. Fat girls were Frongles while pretty ones were Crème Brulees. Pretty girls that carry an extra few pounds are Cheesecakes. Annoying people were Piss Leopards and I forget the collective noun for groups of drunk topless shouty males of Indian descent, but there were many of these.

The fireworks were good but I was disappointed not to see Benny Hill.

Let me just state for the record, the fireworks look better on TV the next day.

After the fireworks, all twelve minutes of them I subscribed to Andy’s school of thought of let’s see where our feet take us… An hour and a half and a three mile walk later, we arrived back where we started without even finding a bar. When we did find a bar that wasn‘t charging sixty bucks to get in, I was allowed in but Andy was not. I got a Carlton Draft, talked to a few people and received a call from Rob slurring “Come to the Fortune of War pub!”

We walked the fortuitous minute there to find it closed and another phone call from Rob stating he had moved on.

No comments: