Saturday, December 20, 2008

THE INCREDIBLE BONGO BAND

Last night was Etta’s party and I arrived fashionably late and set up my virtual wheels of steel while some guys hopelessly played bongos in feeble attempts to seem cool and new age. In fairness one of them was pretty good.When they had quite finished I began and the place slowly began to rock, with one French guy Eugene insisting I play “The Seed” from the Collateral soundtrack again next. I explained that I would put it back on in a bit as I’d selected the next few choonz and was building. Then, leaving the playlist running with banging tunes, I went for a cigarette. When I returned some guys had plugged in their ipods and were playing some awful Latin music and continued making a din until Eugene reinstalled me at the helm. Many people (save the Latino guys) came and complimented me on my choices and taste in music while I drank red wine from a plastic cup.

Now I'm really sorry, they were nice people n' all that but I don’t like people touching things as precious as my laptop without my permission. My laptop is the most important thing in my life at the moment, if they had asked yes they could have played anything they wanted but at a suitable point. I dislike the fact that people just wanna hear what they want in a room of thirty people. I’m DJ. I decide. I’ll play for my audience, not me; so you all get something, not just you.

John is staying at Etta’s too. He is forty eight, has a sob story too, but has cycled from England to Australia! Simply amazing. You can follow his blog at www.cyclingtoaustralia.blogspot.com - I have had a skim and will attempt to read it all from the beginning, he is on day 548 at the moment so it may take a while... From what I read he writes very well, unlike most bloggers who don’t write, they erm… wrong.

1 comment:

Marcus Carter said...

You're not alone in that experience! God knows the amount of times I've been deck-jacked by idiots who only want to play ragga/happyhouse/latino/hardcore/any other bollocks and who just don't understand why a dancefloor that was previously full suddenly empties. The DJ is there to do just that - DJ. You idiots who bring you're own record collections to a party are just that - idiots!
Rant over.