So, I just joined www.travbuddy.com and within ten minutes had 6 messages, feeling that its more likely that I'll find some like-minded individuals to travel down south with. Its a genius site, people say its as addictive as FB, but we'll see...
That's good. You can of course pick and choose who you wanna hang out with, so ignore the geeks and just reply to the fit Dutch girls!
So what have I been up to? Not alot, so this post is "just thoughts really" I've been hanging out and doing my own thing - walking round Bangkok taking in the sites by day, I'll start uploading some photos soon. My friend is back from her diving course today I think, if today is Wednesday.
I've really no idea, which demonstrates how different it is here from London. Mind the gap.
So many things are different here, each country in Asia has its own smell. We don't realise how indebted we are to Joseph Bazalgette.... Many things are different like the @ and the " being the wrong way round, but you get used to it. Some things are the same. Soap still works better than shower gel, spicy food still gives you bottom fever, cucumber is still evil, and physics works in the same way... headphone wires inexplicably still tangle themselves in your pocket, broadsheets are difficult to fold and yes, its still impossible to get ketchup out of a Heinz bottle without slapping the crap out it.
Another thing that is different is that everyone talks to each other. Not like London. You walk down the street and either someone or a group latch onto you or vice versa. People of all nationalities too, whether people are from Ghana, Israel or Denmark, it goes unsaid that they are heading to the next bar with you.
Everyone I meet says they are people-watching, to make them sound intelligent I think. I people watch but I'd never say the word out loud as I reckon it makes you sound a bit of a tit. I was sitting with one said "people-watcher" Rachel and explained that I go a step further, I invent backstories for people, like that 55 year old guy over there with the 35 year old Thai wife. He discovered last week that one sweaty night in Bangkok thirty years ago he fathered a baby girl - that's not his wife its his daughter, who was brought up by a witch. If he leaves his daughter's side he turns into a lizard. We laughed as we did this for most of the night and drank the local brew, until she disappeared in a flash; perhaps she was the witch?
Now I'm not to drink any more White Russians, they don't turn me into The Dude from The Big Lebowski, they make me fall over, which is very uncool. Best 35p you can spend though!
I want to take all of the cats that i see home with me, they live on the roofs (rooves?) and fight and howl and fuck. What a life! There's one new mother near my window still suckling her kittens who are adorable, one tabby (Fudge) one calico (Marmalade) and one mongrel looking thing. They are all so thin that the rats outclass them pound for pound. Like Amir Khan taking on Joe Bugner. They seem to eat leftover food that the locals give them. One of my old cats Fudge used to eat yoghurt out of the pot but none of my cats would ever eat a Thai green curry!
Which, it seems the locals don't eat - you can get them in restaurants but they seemingly just eat noodles or rice or satay. I guess it might be a luxury commodity, that we wrongly believe is the staple diet, perhaps its too expensive for the locals, I dunno.
As we'd say in Brizzle... So where to next? I've been put off Phuket by Nicole - she said it was just as mad as here (yup still in Bangkok) and I need some peace and quiet, beaches and the four S's - surf, sand, sea and sex, I'm going to leave the spiders, snakes, scorpions and sharks for later...
Well there go the pips, I'm running out of money; can you call me back, Mum?
Please don't sit alone like me.
-
Gradually emerging. But still taking. some time to work out what's going
on, inside my mind. anyone got any tips? But seriously, I'm cool. I just
need to ...
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment